Are you worried about your mental health? Do you feel like sadness, worry, or hopelessness are making your life worse than it could be? It might be time to get help from a psychologist. They have the training and experience to make a real difference to your life.
The main things you might not know are:
- Psychologists help by talking through your issues and helping you look for understanding and solutions. They can’t prescribe drugs.
- They’re registered and regulated by the Australian government.
- You should expect to make progress within 3 to 6 sessions.
- You can claim a Medicare rebate for up to 10 sessions a year, with your doctor’s agreement.
If you haven’t thought about seeing a professional for your mental health before, you probably have lots of questions. One thing that a lot of people ask is where they can find a good psychologist. Some things to look for are:
- Willing to talk with you on the phone first. This way, you can discuss what your goals are and whether they would suit your needs and personality.
- Experience and interest in helping people who are at your stage of life.
- Wanting to work with you and make a plan. They should then check in with you about whether you’re making progress and how they can improve the sessions.
If you’d like to get some suggestions for psychologists in your area who can help with your specific needs and personality, try our matching service. It helps you find a great psychologist from over 2000 Australia-wide.